BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 3, 2008

I get a long weekend!

I guess because I asked for last friday off the scheduling manager at Cracker Barrel just pretty much left my schedule the same for this week. So, I'm not scheduled for tomorrow at all. I ain't complainin'


Today was a pretty good day at Cracker Barrel. My trainee, Bronwyn, called in so I didn't have to train her. I'm actually kinda glad that she wasn't there because it was really busy and I had 5 tables.

Maybe I'll train her next week...if she comes back. We'll see.

Jesse and I just watched "The Kite Runner" and I absolutely LOVED it. It has such a good message and a good heart. I thought it was a great story and I'm glad they didn't leave any part of it out. With that being said, it is over 2 hours long. Of course...Jesse was kinda bored and I heard him snore once. I thought it was great though and theres no way I could have fallen asleep! If you are reading this and thinking about watching it, here is a warning. The first hour is almost entirely in an Afghan dialect of Persian called Dari, so there are lots of subtitles.




Here is what Roger Ebert had to say about the film...

"How long has it been since you saw a movie that succeeds as pure
story? That doesn't depend on stars, effects or genres, but simply fascinates
you with how it will turn out? Marc Forster's "The Kite Runner," based on a much-loved novel, is a movie like that. It superimposes human faces and a historical context on the tragic images of war from Afghanistan.


The story begins with boys flying kites. It is the city of
Kabul in 1978, before the Russians, the Taliban, the Americans and the anarchy.
Amir (Zekiria Ebrahimi) joins with countless other boys in filling the sky with
kites; sometimes they dance on the rooftops while dueling, trying to cut other
kite strings with their own. Amir's friend is Hassan (Ahmad Khan Mahmoodzada),
the son of the family's longtime servant Ali, who has been with them for years
and has become like family himself. Hassan is the best kite runner in the
neighborhood, correctly predicting when a kite will return to earth and waiting
there to retrieve it.


The boys live in a healthy, vibrant city, not yet touched by war. Amir's father, Baba (Homayoun Ershadi), is an intellectual and secularist who has no use for the mullahs. Baba, whose kindly eyes are benevolent, loves both boys.


There is a neighborhood bully named Assef, jealous of Amir's kite, his skills and his kite runner. On a day that will shape the course of many lives, he and his gang track down Hassan, attack him and rape him. Amir arrives to see the assault taking place, and to his shame, sneaks away."--You can read more on Roger Ebert's website, but don't read any more if you want to watch the movie!!








That was just the beginning of the story.... the boy actors are incredible! As a matter of fact, I just found out that the boys in the movies were actual Afghans and had to be put into hiding after the movie came out. Here is a link to an article about it. I must have really liked the movie.. It really touched me... because I can't stop thinking about it.



_______________________________________




I ran on the treadmill again today. 4 miles in about 45 minutes again! :) Now my lower back is really sore. I'm not sure why...but maybe just from the impact of running so much in the past 2 days. It feels like a really deep bruise. My knee hurts a bit too.. I think I'm getting old and falling apart.





I have a lot that I want to accomplish this weekend. I probably won't get it all done, but thats ok.

my to do list



[ ] watch "The Last Sin-Eater" (a movie made about a Christian book I once read by Francine Rivers)


[ ] find my paint & craft stuff that I have packed away in my closet.


[ ] go to Wal-mart (yay! we'll actually have food to eat!)


[ ] go to Michael's---I want a peg board thingie that you hang stuff on


[ ] go to Kohl's --- I have another 10 dollar coupon and its burning a hole in my pocket! haha!



[ ] go to the library to return some books

[ ] start thinking about gathering together materials for being a substitute teacher!!

No comments: