BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 9, 2010

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." ~Hippocrates


I'm a HUGE fan of Dr. Oz. He says to make the produce aisle your pharmacy. I couldn't agree more. Eat your veggies now, avoid the doctor later!

I've been reading a blog by a friend of mine lately. Her name is Jessica and her blog is This Blessed Life.

I was really interested in her blogs about her goal to eat "clean." Eating clean means free from unnatural products like chemicals and preservatives. If you know me very well at all you would know that I am SO against shoveling spoonfuls of processed foods into my mouth. I can only imagine how picky I will be if and when I ever get pregnant...and then, my poor children will never taste a "cheesy-poof" (I know, bless their little hearts!)

I watch parents feed their kids and grandkids pizza, chicken nuggets and other garbage for dinner. It kills me! They never get a vegetable!! (Fries do not count) Jesse (my DH) is fairly picky about "health" food and I've usually been able to make food that he enjoys. I consider myself pretty good at taking a recipe and making it healthy. I also try to cook on a budget, so it can be really challenging.

A few months ago my wonderful MIL came to live with us for a short period of time. She went grocery shopping before she came. I've never seen so much garbage food in all my life! She is extremely EXTREMELY frugal (I'm being nice here...hehehe) and shops mostly at stores like Aldi and Sav-a-lot. She brought peanut butter (all trans fat) and margarine (which Jesse & his family lovingly refer to as "butter" HA!) This "butter" was almost ALL trans fat but of course listed 0 grams on the label. (I later told her that the stuff scared me and I made her throw it in the trash can) She brought applesauce and the label was horrendous! What's the point of eating applesauce that is loaded with corn syrup & ::gasp:: high-fructose corn syrup! Last time I checked, plain ol' apples are delicious! This is just the start of it...she also uses Crisco to make frosting and boxed cake mixes to make birthday cakes. I'm not sure how it's going to go over when my future children aren't allowed to eat those birthday cakes!

For those of you saying, "What's wrong with Crisco?" please, please do a little research (try Googling "Crisco") There is a site that talks about the Rise and Fall of Crisco and the history of the product. It's a pretty amazing story really....I'm not linking to it because I don't have permission.

Being frugal does NOT mean that you have to eat chemi-foods. Hopefully in the future I will post more about what I eat and some of my recipes!!

I could honestly write a book about healthy eating... but I will leave you with this. If you want to do something (easy) to increase your health elliminate all hydrogenated oils & all high-fructose corn syrup from your diet. Become a label reader.

Want more info? Here are some books that have helped me.....





1 comment:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Lol I totally could have written this! Our kids might think we're crazy but hopefully they'll thank us later! haha (It happened with me and my mom. :)