BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I survived my 2nd day as a "sub"

Wow... today has been a roller coaster!

I woke up around 7:15 am and got ready for school. Luckily West Forsyth is seriously a 5 minute drive from here so I didn't have to wake up too early. Plus, the teacher report time is 8:30! When I was doing my student teaching at Huntington High School I had to be there at 7:20 am!!!

Anyway, the day went very well.... as you would expect with 11th and 12th graders in AP English. There was a kid named Jesse Crouch in one of my classes today.. weird, huh?

Again.. everything was great and I made it home a tad bit before 4pm, so I was happy.....

but... I also kept thinking about the job that I had picked for tomorrow at Carver High School. It was Home Ec. and I know it would have been pretty easy. My only issue was how I was going to get there.

I've never claimed to be a good driver. As a matter of fact, I practically hate driving. I especially hate driving somewhere when I'm not at least 85% sure of where I'm going... ok, maybe closer to 90%...hehe.. I just get soooo nervous, anxious, stressed, tense, even scared.

And.. I'm definitely NOT a city girl. (well, maybe I could be a big city girl where you just walk places or call a cab..but anyway) I'm not a drive all over the city girl...and I'm not a Winston-Salem girl. I'm not even a suburb girl.

When I got home from West Forsyth today.. I was SO stressed out about the drive that I was in tears. Jesse had said that he wasn't going to drive me there to show me how to get there because I needed to learn how to navigate on my own.. plus with gas at $3.40 a gallon, its a waste of money to do that for every sub job I get. But... THANKFULLY Jesse saw how upset I was and decided to have me drive there this afternoon so I could calm down.

We started out just fine... but I had to drive right through downtown with cars coming at me from everywhere...and I kept having to merge, keep left, keep right, blah, blah, blah.... and after a little while I found myself saying, "I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN!" And of course I could feel my blood pressure rising.

Then, we got to the school and it was pretty much in the ghetto. I pulled into the driveway and everyone was looking at us like, "Whats up with the white people?" haha... I'm not racist. I knew when I took that job that the school was about 75% black, but that just made me feel weird. I really feel sorry for black people that feel that way around a bunch of white people. Maybe over time you just get used to it. Unfortunately, I'm just not used to that back in WV, ya know?

Anyway... it was right after that when I told Jesse that I wouldn't be coming back there. I cried cause I felt bad for reneging on something I had promised to do..but I got over it.

So, we went home and I cancelled the job...and I felt 1000 times better. I just did NOT want to drive there. Those 15 miles felt like a million!



View Larger Map

So I took at job at a local elementary school tomorrow instead. I already know how to get there. ;) Its about 10 minutes away down a quiet back road..hahaha. I know, I'm a baby.

After our excursion I got on the treadmill and walked a quarter mile, then ran 3.28 miles w/o stopping once. (that's 5.88 mph on average) I could have ran even further, but it was 7:15 pm and Jesse and I needed to reheat our leftovers for dinner and shower before going upstairs to watch American Idol w/ Holli and Lester. Its a weekly tradition now.

Speaking of Idol... I was only slightly impressed with the 2 Davids tonight. (granted I missed Kristy Lee Cook because of The Biggest Loser Finale, but of the ones I heard...)

Speaking of the Biggest Loser.. way to go Ally!!! She was the 1st female biggest loser and she REALLY deserved it! She looks amazing!

Time for bed now... I'm beat.

No comments: